Bronchial Thermoplasty (BT) is a minimally invasive procedure for adults who suffer with severe asthma. BT has been proven to reduce the frequency and severity of asthma attacks, making it easier for patients to breathe and improving their overall quality of life.
How it Works:
People with severe asthma have an excess amount of smooth muscle tissue lining their airways. During an asthma attack, the muscle tissue constricts the airways, making it difficult to breathe. Bronchial Thermoplasty uses mild heat to reduce the amount of excess smooth muscle tissue in the airways. With less muscle tissue, the airways constrict less, reducing asthma attacks and making breathing easier.
Bronchial Thermoplasty is an outpatient procedure performed by our board certified Polmonologists over the course of three sessions, with a three-week break between each session.
Bronchial Thermoplasty does not replace asthma medication but works with them to give added, long-lasting protection from serious asthma symptoms.
Bronchial Thermoplasty can help patients who are:
- Over the age of 18
- Taking multiple asthma medications (check with your doctor to make sure that you are on the appropriate medication and taking it as prescribed)
- And one or more of the following:
- Still having asthma attacks
- Adjusting your lifestyle to avoid asthma triggers
- Absent from work, school or other daily activities because of your asthma
BT is not right for patients who:
- Are under 18 years old
- Have a pacemaker, internal defibrillator, or other implantable electronic device
- Have a known sensitivity to medications required to perform bronchoscopy, including lidocaine, atropine, and benzodiazepines
- Have been previously treated with BT
- Currently smoke
Patients treated with bronchial thermoplasty also experienced the following significant benefits compared to that of patients who did not have the procedure:
- Days lost from school or work where be reduced by up to 66%
- Emergency Department visits where reduced by over 80%
- Severe asthma attacks where be reduced by up to 30%
- Reduced medication use
Last year, Jane Denny, 66 of Conover became one of the first patients in the region to have an innovative new treatment for asthma called Bronchial Thermoplasty (BT). “This procedure gave me my life back,” says Jane. “I only wish I could have had it sooner.” Read her story here.
If you’re an adult whose asthma symptoms are not alleviated through the use of an inhaler or other medication, bronchial thermoplasty may be a great treatment option for you. Call Catawba Valley Pulmonology at 828.326.2660 to learn more about this clinically-proven procedure and to see if you are a candidate.